The CA is the best place to be able to shape key changes and developments in the conveyancing marketplace, meet the right people in the business and develop our own firm to become on of the best players in a growing part of the property industry.
Victoria Marshall, Shulmans LLP
- 25th April, Conveyancing Association Annual General Meeting
14 March 2013, Law Society calls on solicitors to respond to the challenges facing the industry at Conveyancing Association Members Meeting
The conveyancing market is changing and solicitors need to respond in order to sustain their businesses, Des Hudson, Chief Executive of the Law Society said last month.
Speaking at an all-member meeting of the Conveyancing Association (CA), Mr Hudson said that solicitors had a role as the only professionals in the housing market who acted exclusively in the interests of the home buyer, and the Law Society was working to improve the brand of solicitors as a profession.
Des Hudson said:
“The stagnant housing market, the pressures on PI insurance, and changes to legal aid are all making trading conditions difficult for the solicitor, but there are opportunities that the profession should take hold of. There is no reason, for example, why solicitors shouldn’t assume the role of digital notary in our new economy, and provide online validation of identity.
“We will be consulting later this year with CQS members on proposals to introduce a new levy to fund a marketing and advertising campaign to raise the profile of solicitors as a service for the big moments in a person’s life – including buying a house and writing a will.”
Eddie Goldsmith, Chairman of the CA, was delighted to welcome Mr Hudson to speak at the quarterly meeting of the CA. He said:
“Whilst Des hailed conveyancers as the unsung heroes of the house buying process, he also highlighted the challenges we’re facing as the legal landscape evolves. The Conveyancing Association’s members are striving to not only tackle these challenges head on but to turn them into opportunities. Our members are serious conveyancers and the consumer Pledges we’ve all signed up to demonstrate that our primary commitment is to make the house buying process simple and stress-free for our clients, no matter what the challenge.”
13th December, Conveyancing Association launch pledges at Members Meeting, Christmas Reception and Dinner
On 13 December 2012 members and VIPs enjoyed a Reception and Dinner at the Grosvenor Hotel in London to celebrate the launch of the Conveyancing Association’s pledges. CA Chairman Eddie Goldsmith provided an overview of the pledges, outlining the ways in which they go above and beyond the requirements of existing regulatory frameworks and accreditation schemes such as the Conveyancing Quality Scheme, benefitting both consumers and the industry.
CA Chairman Eddie Goldsmith introducing the pledges
- 11th December - Westminster Legal Policy Forum held a seminar on ‘The future for conveyancing’ - regulation and innovation in an evolving market, with Eddie Goldsmith (Conveyancing Association), Anna Bradley (Council for Licensed Conveyancers), Richard Collins (Solicitors Regulatory Authority) and Malcolm Dawson (Land Registry) speaking. See here for more details
- 13th September, CA All-Membership Meeting, Grand Connaught Rooms, London. Click here to view the invitation.
- 20th September, Law Firm Services Conference and Awards, RICOH Arena, Coventry. The CA sponsored the champagne reception.
- 1st December – CML Future of Conveyancing Conference (Eddie Goldsmith to speak)
- 8th December – CA All-Membership Meeting, Grand Connaught, London.
Click here to view the invitation.
- 15th March – CA All-Membership Meeting, venue tbc
- 7th September - Today's Conveyancer's full day conference will be held in Leicestershire with Eddie Goldsmith (Conveyancing Association), Desmond Hudson (Law Society) and Harry Hill (In-deed) speaking. Read more details here
- 20th September – Law Firm Services is holding its conveyancing conference on at the RICOH Arena in Coventry - Eddie Goldsmith (Conveyancing Association) will be speaking.
- 22nd September - The Conveyancing Association will hold its All Members Meeting in London, sponsored by First Title. It will gie members the opportunity hear from industry leaders, feed in thoughts about the state of the industry and how the Conveyancing Association can best represent you whilst meeting and networking with other members. For more details, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 27th September – The CML is holding its 4th annual mortgage fraud conference in London - Eddie Goldsmith (Conveyancing Association) will be speaking.
The Conveyancing Association took its message to the wider home-buying industry on 12th May at a reception in central London. Council of Mortgage Lenders Director-General Michael Coogan gave the keynote speech at the event, which was attended by 80 conveyancers, journalists and property industry professionals.
To view images from the event, please click on a thumbnail below: